A Mega Quarry is coming to Muskoka unless you help stop it!
A proposal for a MEGA QUARRY expansion and rezoning has been filed with the town of Bracebridge. Residents were not adequately notified of this proposal and the current Council wants to push it through 12 days before a municipal election.
Why you should be concerned:
- Over 900 acres of sensitive land will be destroyed adjacent to the Muskoka River and Sage Creek Wetland.
- Extraction and blasting will occur below the water table and affect the ground water that flows into the Muskoka River.
- Species at risk will be removed and relocated.
- Extraction far exceeds the needs of Muskoka. The aggregate is being trucked to the GTA region for use.
- The Mega Quarry contains over 100 years of aggregate. Who is going to be around to make sure this Mega Quarry is rehabbed when abandoned?
- Truck traffic is forecasted to increase to 254 trips per day. Muskoka roads will be further congested
- The Mega Quarry has a current licence to operate within a residential area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Public consultation was inadequate and held during Covid-19 lockdown in December 2020.
Donate today to help us hire lawyers, planners and experts to fight this rezoning and expansion proposal! We need your support for an Ontario Lands Committee appeal and to oppose the application during the Ministry of Natural Resources licensing process.
In partnership with Muskoka Environmental Alliance.