Action Alert: Protest Rally at Bracebridge Town Council to Oppose Decision on Fowler Mega Quarry Proposal
OCTOBER 11, 2022 – Small Change Fund partner Muskoka Environmental Alliance (MEA) is calling on residents to join a protest against a rezoning proposal at Childs Pit in Bracebridge, Ontario. The protest will take place ahead of the Bracebridge Town Council meeting at 6:00 PM this Wednesday October 12, 2022 and will be held at the Town Council Chambers at 1000 Taylor Road, Bracebridge, Ontario.
Fowler Construction Company is pushing for a new Zoning By-law for Childs Pit. Local residents are uniting to fight the rezoning proposal which will increase the quarry’s size to 900 acres, doubling its current limits.
“This Mega Quarry zoning application will alter the Muskoka environment for decades to come. It’s only days before a municipal election, and Council knows it needs to step back and address the disastrous environmental consequences of this proposal,” says local property owner and founder of MEA, Laura Pratt. “Muskoka residents have not been properly consulted,” adds Ms. Pratt.
Residents are concerned about the environmental impact of the increased Mega Quarry output on the neighboring community and the urban centre.
This impact includes:
- A dramatic increase in large truck traffic to 600 trips a day on local Town roads, including the Bonnie Lake Road and Highway 117
- 24 hour operations, including blasting in a residential neighborhood
- Threats to wildlife, 40 acres of wetlands, water wells and the Town’s air and water
- Hazards from diesel soot, carcinogenic silica dust and explosives residue
- Potential contamination of up to 9.2 m litres of water extracted daily from the Muskoka River
For more information, contact the Muskoka Environmental Alliance: firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 647-822-9769.
You can help us fight this mega quarry by donating at: Say NO to the Muskoka Mega Quarry.