27 acres of prime farmland along with the community’s drinking water at 5063 Jones Baseline in Guelph/Eramosa is under threat. This threat comes from Minus Forty, a refrigeration manufacturing facility. Some concerns around Minus Forty’s refrigeration facility include:
- Loss of prime grade 1 agricultural land
- Hardship on the residential aquifer system
- Risk of contamination from their septic system
- Increased noise and traffic
- The safety of the children who live on Jones Baseline and ride the bus to school
- Environmental pollution
This development would pave the way for neighbouring agricultural plots to be turned into industrial land as well. Protect agricultural land by demanding Farms NOT Fridges, and support the Jones Baseline Community in their goal to ensure that 5063 Jones Baseline land remains zoned under Agricultural (Z) and Environmental Protection (EP).